Thursday, September 13, 2007

Labor Day Weekend



SooAnn and I spent Labor Day weekend visiting my friends Aaron and Joy in Sterling, IL. They were some of my best friends in Connecticut, and after a year of living so far away they missed me so much that they decided to move closer :) Or maybe they just missed the Midwest and wanted to be closer to family... Whatever the reason, it's great to have them closer and I look forward to having them visit Lafayette sometime and introduce them to some of you.

One of the highlights of the visit was a trip to the Reagan boyhood home in Dixon, IL (from 1920-1923). Actually he lived in 5 different homes in Dixon, but this is the one that has been preserved. It is a pretty normal home... nothing fancy. In fact, he shared a small room with his brother.

I think that I especially enjoyed visiting the home because President Reagan is the first president I remember and he was president during my growing up years. I find it interesting that he was the 4th president during my lifetime, and I was only a few weeks shy of 7 when he took office. One of my earliest national event memories was of the assassination attempt on March 30, 1981.

A question for my readers... What is your earliest nation event memory? I'm almost afraid to ask because it might make me feel old.

8 comments:

The Rock Star said...

There might be an earlier one, but...

I remember being in 1st grade (1990-1991), and my teacher's brother was a solider in the Gulf War. Since then, I have been pretty patriotic and very supportive of the troops. At least, I think since then. Anyway, I remember her telling us stories and such about the situation.

brent-ley said...

Yep...that did it: I feel old. I was a senior in high school during Gulf War I. My earliest memories are from the 1980's as well. I remember some of the bombings in Germany in 1981 because I lived there then. Also the Iran hostage crisis even though I didn't really get it then. Seems like we're still trying to deal with the same problems.

Unknown said...

The Challenger explosion when I was in 2nd grade.

Anonymous said...

I remember the assassination attempt. Wow. Yep. Old.

Brent-ley - to comment on the dealing with the same problems comment - I'm of the opinion that we will always have the middle east conflict as a result of biblical prophesy. Esau and Jacob (I believe that's the first conflict root of the problems over there).

Michelle H. said...

Hey, Some of you may not know but my mom lived in Stering for several years. I was kinda hoping to see the church on the hill. I know you had a fun time taking that picture. I still have a sister who lives there. Here's to many more fun trips.

Diana said...

I guess I would have to say the Challenger explosion while in 3rd grade. I really remember that one because our room had a bulletin board devoted to the astronauts.

Daizie Girl said...

I remember the assassination attempt on Reagan as well - I was about 4 or 5 and remember seeing it on the remoteless/non-cable TV and talking to my dad and brother about it. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around why someone would want to do that. Glad I'm not alone in feeling old. I was also in high school when the Gulf War started.

Jeannie - I agree with your comment on Middle East conflict and it being of biblical prophesy.:) It's been going on for thousands of years.

maren said...

Happy 4 month anniversary-- of not posting. cough cough.